Choose Masonry Services Perfect for Your New Home
When a person moves into a new home, the landscaping may be incomplete or only the basics completed. New homeowners who want their property to look its best and be the most useful for their family might want to hire a landscaper and a masonry service. The homeowner can have a complete landscape plan designed and completed at one time, or they can have landscape projects done as the funds become available. There are many masonry services that can complete the exterior look of a home.
Services Available From Masonry Services
The services from a mason can include projects such as exterior stonework, brick and blockwork, driveways, walkways, paths, and patios, retaining or privacy walls, patios, and outdoor kitchens. Masons can create interior or exterior waterfalls or water gardens, and they can build outdoor fireplaces and other hardscaping. They can build front porch or patio steps, fire pits, benches, and other features.
Types of Masons
There are different types of masons for different projects.
- Stone masons work with natural and manufactured stones and veneer products to create home facades, walls, and exterior and interior flooring.
- Brick masons work with all types of brick to create projects like chimneys, fireplaces, columns, walls, patios, driveways, and walkways.
- Concrete contractors or masons work with both poured and concrete blocks that requires leveling, finishing, and protecting the job while the concrete hardens. The projects they may work on include walkways, driveways, house foundations, walls, columns, and patio slabs.
- Restoration and repair contractors work with existing structures to maintain, restore, or repair them. They work on older homes, historical homes, and structures doing repointing or replacing mortar, rebuilding damaged sections, fixing cracks, or replacing missing pieces.
Hire the Right Masonry Service
When hiring a mason or a masonry contractor, make sure they have experience in the right type of masonry work for the project. Start by searching for “masonry services near me” to find contractors in your area to check out.
It is a good practice to get written estimates from at least three companies and compare their prices and services. Hire the contractor with the best pricing to service ratio and who has a good reputation.
The masonry service should be licensed and insured for your area. They should be willing to provide references from previous clients. Do they have completed jobs you can drive by? Are they certified by the Masonry Contractors Association of America?
What To Ask The Masonry Contractor Before a Project Starts
There are some things the homeowner should know before signing the contract and allowing masonry work to start.
- Ask what experience the contractor has with your type of project and materials and how many years of experience they have.
- Ask for the estimated completion date of your project, and let them know when you expect the project to be completed.
- Make sure you know what materials will be used and see samples in advance. Ask for the construction details.
- Ask what if anything you are required to do to prepare for this project.
- Make sure it is clear who is responsible for getting the materials and what materials will be used.
- Make arrangements for the payment schedule and the type of payment.
- Ask if they offer a warranty on their work and on the materials. How long is the warranty?
- Who is responsible for the cleanup when the job is complete? Look for the contractor who cleans up the area after they complete a project.
When a homeowner hires the right masonry company, their project will go smoothly and the results will be more successful.