How to Use Lighting Design to Transform Your Home
Lighting can have a tremendous effect on your home. Using appropriate lighting can make your house more beautiful. If you are designing your home, inside and out, here are some of the best tips that you can consider to transform your home into the best possible ways.
- Use Eye-Level Wall Fixtures – It’s typical to use the overhead lighting in almost every room in the house. While it can match perfectly in some areas, there are places where a change in lighting is necessary. Overhead lights often produce unsightly shadows, especially ones on high ceilings. It can be an issue, especially on bathrooms and bedrooms. So instead of using them, consider using eye-level wall fixtures, such as sconces. Also, most wall fixtures are not glaring, as they are usually inside cases or covered with fabric or glass.
- Use Mirrors Effectively – Despite not a light source, mirrors can be used to create beautiful lighting designs for your home. Mirrors can reflect light, and when placed at the right places, can make a room beautiful. Some of the best places to put them are in front of light sources, such as windows. Aside from lighting, they can also make a room appear bigger.
- Consider How Much Light You Need – When designing your home, determine how much lighting rooms need. But how much light do you really need? It depends on the room and how big it is. Naturally, smaller rooms will need less lighting, whereas kitchens will need more lighting compared to a dining room. For a more detailed guide, you can find some information on the internet from interior designers.
- Try Curtains and Blinds – Natural lights are some of the best sources of lighting. It’s free and has many benefits. However, there are many ways to improve how you use it. Many designers use double curtains, which consist of a sheer and opaque curtain. During the day, the sheer curtain can block the decrease of heat while allowing light to enter the rooms still. The opaque curtains add dimension and can be used to cover the windows entirely to block light. Blinds and shutters are also excellent choices. Not only do these improve your lighting, but they can also make a huge difference in your heating and cooling bills.
- Use Outdoor Lights – When setting up lighting for your home, you’ll also want to include your outdoors, especially your patio. For your deck, you can use composite decking lights to illuminate your patio. Not only does it create beautiful ambients, but it also provides extra safety. Aside from deck lights, you can use upward lighting to showcase decorative pieces in your deck. It works well with tall plants, which can make them more dramatic.
- Understand Task Lighting and Mood Lighting – When choosing your lighting design, consider whether you should use task or mood lighting. Task lighting is solid, specific, and focused, which usually comes from single fixtures. On the other hand, mood or ambient lighting can be achieved by using multiple light sources, which can create soft and diffused lights. So where should you use them? Use task lighting on rooms where you do work, such as your office or in the kitchen. As for mood lighting, use it in rooms where you want a relaxing and calming ambiance, such as your bedrooms.
- Use Lighting To Create Focal Points – Focal points draw the attention of people into areas of interest. When used correctly, it can remarkably improve a room. One easy way to achieve this is by using lighting. Our eyes are always drawn to the brightest areas in the room. Placing recessed lights or upward lights on certain places can provide effective focal points. It can also reinforce other points, making it more noticeable, such as placing it near fireplaces.
There are many other ways to transform your home using adequate lighting. However, the trends change often, and lighting techniques always improve. Try to read more updated guides and tips on the internet on how to set up your lighting. Learn more about technical information about lighting, as it can’t be discussed all in one seating. If you are still unsure, it’s best to ask help from an expert. It may cost you some money, but it still is an excellent investment.